You can apply for a long stay visa for Hungary at the Hungarian Embassy in Nairobi. Appointments can be booked via this link: https://konzinfobooking.mfa.gov.hu
Opening hours: The opening hours for visa applications are Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am to 12.30 pm.
During the summer we are also open on Wednesdays to handle the case of the students
Applications should be submitted 4 or 5 weeks before the date of commencement of studies in Hungary, but maximum 3 months before the date of the intended departure.
- Regulations on a stay exceeding 90 days fall within the competence of national authorities, therefore there is no uniform routine among the Schengen Member States. Foreign nationals requesting entry to Hungary with a purpose of a long stay may submit a residence permit application. In case of successful application, he/she will get a visa authorizing him/her to a single entry for receiving a residence permit and to stay for maximum 30 days in Hungary. The decision on the residence permit falls within the competence of the regional directorates of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing of Hungary.
- The visa procedure can take up to 3 – 4 weeks!
Applicant’s passport + copy (minimum 1 year validity)
- The passport must have been issued within the last ten years and shall contain at least two blank pages.
- A filled and signed visa application form + Appendix
- One passport-size photograph.
- Travel Health Insurance covering one month
- Parent’s or guardian’s bank statements
- Summarized statement (letter) from the respective bank to show the balance is in Euros or US Dollars.
- Letter from the employer
- Commitment letter (Sworn Affidavit) from the parent or guardian that he or she will support the student during his/her education in Hungary. Proof of sufficient funds of the guarantor – The guarantor must have adequate means of subsistence and stand surety for any costs incurred by the student in terms of health treatment, residence in Hungary and repatriation, for at least one academic year. The guarantor must have a regular income.
- Evidence of relationship with sponsor (eg. birth certificates)
- Original Letter of University Admission – Proof of Registration
- Evidence of Fees paid, tuition fees and accommodation
- Students degree and academic records, Proof of studies: equivalent Diploma or degree requested (legalized)
- An Evidence of your accommodation in Hungary
- Visa fee of 14,184 KES per student plus the courier service fee of KES 5158 for applicants residing outside Kenya is payable by bank card! In case the applicant doesn’t have a bank card, the Consular Section will direct him/her to the closest bank branch in order to deposit the fee on the day of application.
Applicants are required to attend in person.
The Consular section stresses that the identification process has no influence on the introduction, the treatment and the issuance of visa.
Attention! Study visa application are decided by the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing of Hungary and NOT by the Embassy/Consular Office in Nairobi. The applicant will be notified by the Chancery as soon as it receives the decision of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing of Hungary. Therefore the Embassy cannot and will not reply to enquiries in relation to the status of the study visa applications!
If the visa is refused applicants have the right to appeal. Appeals can be submitted personally either by the applicant or by the person who has a power of attorney from the applicant at the Hungarian Consulate (that refused the visa application) 8 days within the date of receiving the decision on refusal. The decision will be made by the respective Hungarian authorities.
The appeal should be lodged in writing and it should be signed by the applicant or by the person who has a power of attorney.
The fee of the appeal procedure is KES 20,630 which should be paid at the same time when submitting the appeal. The fee for the appeal procedure cannot be reimbursed, not even in case of a positive decision. There is no possibility for the reduction of the fee, that should be paid by that applicant also who could lodge his/her visa claim free of charge in the first instance procedure.
The appeal must be submitted in Hungarian or in any other official language of the European Union. If the applicant lodges the appeal in another language he/she must submit an official translation with the appeal.
The applicant or the person with the power of attorney can submit further supporting documents during the appeal procedure, and the client can be summoned to the consulate for a personal visa interview.
The appeal judgment may be subject to judicial review.
In case of refusal a new application may be submitted at any time but the visa fee has to be paid again.
 The attached photograph of the visa procedure has to meet to the following requirements:
1. not older than 6 months
3. passport-size (35-40 mm in width)
4. sharp, good quality
5. entire face
6. one coloured, bright background
7. shawl is not allowed except for religious purposes
8. photo made in the face of the camera
Wearing glasses is allowed, if the eyes still visible easily and the light does not reflect back from the lentil. Wearing shawl is not allowed except for religious purposes and if the face remains visible. The photo has to meet the above mentioned requirements.
If the photo does not correspond to the prescribed requirements the applicant shall hand another photo with the required conditions, or a photograph may be taken in place by the consulate.